top of page

The main building of our Museum was donated by Murray Windle and Pat Webber (daughter). The building is located in an area of Chillicothe that was once known as Veteransville. The building itself originally served as the maintenance building for the Chillicothe Business College Campus. Currently, the building has been incorporated into the museum and is the first of three exhibit halls.

About: About Us
Exterior of the front of the Grand River Historical Society Museum featuring a horizontal brick building with arched white facade culminating in a series of 8 columns. In addition there is the main logo sign in white and baby blue sitting on bricks and sharing the name of the museum.


George W. Somerville organized the first Grand River Historical Society meeting on Tuesday, November 16, 1954. Meetings were held on the second floor of the Livingston County Library beginning on February 15, 1955. Mr. Somerville served 11 years as president. Mrs. Minnie Hedrick was Vice President and Miss Roberta Perrine served as Secretary-Treasurer. 

Charter Members: George Somerville, Mrs. Ira Hedrick, Miss Roberta Perrine, Howard Rion, Joseph Stewart, Miss Kate Johnson, Miss Mabel Cranmer, Mrs. Alice Kesler, Mrs. Elsie Somerville, Mrs. John Elliott, Mrs. Lillian Meinershagen, Julius Meinershagen, Mrs. Harriett Casebeer, Harry Cole, Bill Cole, Kirk Marshall, Leo Hopper, William Stillwell.

By-laws were adopted in January of 1970 under the 4th president, Howard Leech. Co-curators were Jane Stark and Dr. John R. Neal.

Historical photos of museum founder, George Somerville.
About: History
bottom of page